Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Why I don't plan parties II

I've always had a fear that if I tried to plan a party, no one would come.

Deep-rooted insecurity issues, I suppose. I also have fears about losing my teeth, and, when I was a child, I had an overwhelming fear of puppets.

I would consider my fear of parties an irrational fear. Perhaps I watched too many coming-of-age movies where the girl, in braces, bad hair and a puffy-sleeved dress, sat at home surrounded by balloons, waiting for the popular kids, who were at someone else's house partying the night away.

I hate puffy sleeves, and I never understood why AnnWithAn'e' of Green Gables wanted them so. And I only ever had eight braces on my teeth -- four top and four bottom. Maybe I had bad hair, then. I don't know; I just know that I believe no one will come if I'm the central driving force behind a party.

Except, Saturday's party went quite well. We had a great turnout, and it seems as though everyone had fun. I almost didn't make it-- the train I was waiting for had a 'medical emergency,' and firefighters, cops and paramedics swarmed the station before everything calmed down and the train started running again. That all only took about 10 minutes, and I even saw a friend, who chatted with me until we had to transfer trains. Despite that mishap, and the inability to figure how to get the bride-to-be to her own shower without ruining the surprise, things went quite well.

Until the next day.

The next day I learned that the bride-to-be had hated it, and the bridesmaids were never, ever to surprise her again. *Gulp!*

Perhaps I wasn’t so far off with my assumptions in the first place. But whether or not everyone enjoyed it, it WAS a fabulous party-—with no lonely, puffy-sleeved girls in sight.

3 comments:

Elanor said...

this bride to be needs to get over herself, and be grateful she's actually has friends who care enough to spend the time, energy, and funds to throw her a surprise party.

Elizabeth said...

In the bride's defense, she realized that she needed to be greatful. It just goes to show that one's expectations never match the reality.

Elanor said...

well that's good : ) It can be easy to get caught up in all the planning and forget about the people helping.