Friday, December 5, 2008

The here and now

I have a brand-new nephew, an adorable haircut, and ... oh, what's this ... a vise-like sensation gripping my skull. This headache signifies that I have signed up for a tuition pay plan to pay off next semester. I apparently am not receiving any more financial aid, and it will now cost my soul (signed away with a contract written in my own blood) and first born to finish my degree.

I wish this is something I could just blame on Bush and the flippin' retarded economy. But I can't. The fact of the matter is that I'm just a kid, trying to work my way through school, and I can't make enough to pay for rent, food, tuition, and MTA cards. What's that you say? Christmas is right around the corner? Insert inappropriate curse word here. No matter how many jobs I take on (three, last count) or how hard I try to finish school despite transferring (18 credits this and next semester), I can't seem to work it out.

I'm not looking for pity or to induce any sort of guilt. I merely want to present the idea that life is hard. People, life is hard, and we can blame the president or the economy, or we can take a moment to sigh, and then we need to keep moving forward. I heard once that if your childhood sucks, then your adulthood will be awesome. If I'm still a child, then I'll ride the wave a little bit longer. But if I am now an adult, then, dude, this still sucks.

No comments: