Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Indecision

I didn't know what I wanted to do when I went to college. All I knew was that I needed to go. I jumped from wanting to be an archeology major to being a history major. My first semester, I had a class with the Most Bizarre Teacher Ever and knew that I had to do something else or the rest of my college career would include classes with this strange person. I switched to psychology, because I thought it would be interesting to study people, and, like, stuff. My interest in psychology ended when I learned ... hmm, now I don't remember now why my interest in psychology waned. But wane it did, and then I moved to English after I joined the school newspaper. There was a short period of time when I couldn't figure out if I wanted Communications instead, but I hate speaking in front of people, and in order to avoid speech classes, an English major I remained.

And thus I remain still, until this very day.

I have extensive experience in journalism, from reporting to editing to editor-in-chiefing to interning at a daily paper and compiling over 40 clips. Journalism was my life, my dream, my goal--until something happened, I don't know exactly what, and I decided that I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue in journalism.

I graduate next semester, finally, after four brutal years, and I am in the boat that I scoffed at others for being in. The boat that holds those who scratch theirs heads and murmur, "I don't know what I am going to do." It's a rocky boat, and there are storms on the horizon.

While I have some ideas about my future, I'm not entirely sure yet. It's not too frightening, really--or at least, I'm not allowing myself to be frightened--because, the possibilities are endless and I can set off in any direction I so choose. I was told today that I need to just get a job, that I need to stop being in a state of transition as a student and just arrive already. Get a job, she said, and use the weekends or whatever to figure out what you want to do.

Okay, I'm ready to arrive. Which direction to my dream?

5 comments:

Elanor said...

Don't 'just get a job' and try to figure it out from there. From experience, I know it doesn't really work like that. Yes, it's important to be able to pay the bills and whatnot, but it's not worth it to be in a job you hate. Perhaps I'm just naive. But we live in a world that demands we live a certain way and follow certain 'rules', a world that says to those of us who aren't wealthy, 'get a job' and forget about your dreams, you just need to make money.

You can bum off us for a while if you need to! Find your dream and pursue it! The longer you put it off because you 'need a job' the harder it's going to be for you to actually go after it one day.

Elizabeth said...

Now, on the list of "Possibilities after graduation": Bum with Elanor and D

Elanor said...

Haha. It could be fun you know...

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

Why can't we edit comments?

I meant to write: I am seriously contemplatING it. And there is a list. :-)