Saturday, November 1, 2008

I don't know who you are, but I'm sorry I wasn't there

I missed a call this morning at 11:08 a.m. I was putting the finishing touches on my old bedroom, which included giving it the once over and vacuuming like a loony toons character because was I was about to be late for work if I didn't leave soon.

Today, I moved from the apartment I lived in since the beginning of the summer. I moved in with a friend, someone I'd spent the last eight or so months getting to know. On a whim, I'd asked if she wanted to be my roommate, and to my surprise and delight, she said absolutely.

Walking to the train, I listened to the message I had missed. Someone, let's call her Mariam, was turning 20 today, and her sister, let's call her Faris, was throwing a surprise birthday party. Faris wanted to know if I could come-she got my number off her sister's phone-could I call to let her know?-she understood if I couldn't come-she even understood if I had to come late.

I couldn't make out the names and it sounded like no one I was familiar with anyway, and I decided not to call her back.

On the way home from work, I received a text:

Hey girl, this is Mariam's sis Faris. Just wanted 2 know if u can come! Trust me u dont hav 2 get her anything. Just u coming is a big surprise! Plz reply ty.

Ah, I realized that Mariam must have been one of the girls in my group presentation last week. We'd exchanged numbers and email addresses, but I hadn't really learned anyone's name--I only knew them by face. I certainly hadn't expected anyone to put my number in their phone, or for any sisters calling me to ask me to come to a surprise party for someone I only knew in passing.

It wasn't worth a lengthy text explanation, I decided. Faris must have called dozens of strangers asking them to come to a surprise party. That's unnerving, difficult work, even for a sister you loved. Keeping with the spirit of the day, I texted her back:

Unfortunately, i can't come. :-( But thanks for the invite! Please wish her happy birthday for me.

She responded:

:-( its Ok ... Sure on [sic] prob I will tell her .. Take care bye

Hehe, I thought. I hope Mariam had a good birthday. I hope she was surprised.

And me? My move? It was amazing and painless, except for the poor guys trying to get my sofa bed into my bedroom. They removed some paint from the door frame and it was difficult, but we all gave a rousing "HURRAH!" when they succeeded.

And someone commented: "That's why they have cheerleaders."

No comments: