Sunday, November 23, 2008

Trying to be an adult, yet always failing miserably

Insert an inappropriate curse word here. Several times.

Yesterday, I decided, in order to increase my laptop's start-up time and to clear disk space, that I would delete the programs I don't really use. I deleted about 10 such programs, including several expired "free trial" MSN games, AOL, and an instant messenger program.

It took a little time, but I soon noticed that my saved Word documents no longer were identified by the little 'W' icon. They were now rich text documents, as revealed by the little notebook and 'A' icon.

Additionally, a little warning '!' thingie announced in the right hand corner of the screen that my computer was no longer protected by an anti-virus program, and that I should get one ASAP--AS IN, RIGHT NOW--if I wanted to avoid losing my computer all together as a result of a malicious email or website designed by someone with waaay too much time and IQ.

I haven't discovered yet what else I may have inadvertently deleted, but, whatever it is, I hope it wasn't important.

2 comments:

senojsitruc said...

> Yesterday, I decided, in order to increase my laptop's start-up time

Now, why exactly would you want to increase the startup time?

Elizabeth said...

You know, I don't have a good answer for that. I think it's because I'm secretly wishing I have the latest 2009 mac computer, which, I'm sure, shoots rainbows and unicorns out of the screen every time it boots up.

Unfortunately, I have a measly 2006 Dell.